Ad Code

Starting wedding photography, please help with my questions.?

I am getting ready to start wedding photography, can someone honestly tell me how much I can expect to make on average per month living between Los Angeles and San Diego? I would think being between 2 major cities, advertising on craigslist, and in the local papers, being part of a church group, I would do fairly well and should be able to pull between 3 and 7 weddings each month. Does this sound realistic? I have an SLR with a hot box and flash, other lighting equipment. I believe as far as equipment Im ready and will probably do the 3 weddings for almost free. I am and buisness minded I have ran my own buisness before so I know how to market myself, I also sold cars before, so I am good at building customer relations. I think I take great pictures and have heard the same from other people. Ill let you be the Judge www.yountphotographyonline.com. I can handle constructive critisicsm. I just started this website. Comments/Suggestions plz email me @ j_yount_3@yahoo.com Thanks Josh

Here is my two cents worth: First of all, your website has grammatical and spelling errors that would stop me from hiring you without even having to see a single photo. So you have a camera and flash. You need a backup camera and flash at least equal to your main setup. You need duplicates of everything. You need brackets, sync cords, diffusers. Lots of memory. A fast, powerful computer with backup hard drive. Adobe Photoshop. The skill to use PS. You also need people skill. Maybe you have it. You need management skill, Business savvy. Now we get to photographic skill. I don't mean to be harsh, Certainly I'm sure the original pictures are higher resolution than the web posts show, but that doesn't hide the fact that your subjects were poorly lit and exposed, and the posing was awkward and utterly lacking in knowledge and style. These are things you need to study before presenting yourself as a wedding professional. In weddings, you usually have to use available lighting, sometimes in impossibly dark churches. Then you have to corral and arrange individuals and small and large groups into pleasing compositions. And this has to be done quickly with impatient people who are anxious to begin the party. The best way to get into wedding photography is to find an established professional willing to let you assist for a season or two while you hone your photography skills without someone's "special day" being on the line. Some photographers in resort or high volume areas do manage 4 -7 weddings a month. I don't think a newbie, particularly one with questionable skill and no portfolio, should expect to book that many, at least not at an income level enough to sustain you. Don't forget the post processing time that a wedding takes. I have a full time day job in the industry, and shoot weddings on the side. Even if you nail exposure and WB every shot, the post work is time consuming, and I shudder to think of doing that many albums and coordinating that many print orders by myself. Good luck to you if you decide to go for it.

I just attended a class with Texas Professional Photographers Association in College Station and spoke to several wedding photographers. Just a note that they were averaging 25-50 weddings a year. You are talking about 26-84. Weddings are alot of work – after the shoot. I would suggest you start out with just 2 a month. Good luck to you!

PS I took a look at your photos. You might think about taking a course to improve your lighting.

Wedding seems easy but they are among the most difficult events to shoot. You have only a couple of hours to make memories for people that last a lifetime. Def. take classes on lighting and maybe start by assisting another wedding photo.

It will take you quite some time to build up a following that would allow you to do nothing else. I would also offer portraiture. Some regions have high school students pick there own photog for yearbook shots look into this in your area . Building a photo business is something you can do while you work another gig …photo assistant.

you will need to be ready to photograph on a couple different sites…brides home, church, reception, and the obligatory garden scene. Lighting is the killer, you will want a short lens 28mm for close ups and a longer lens for church shots 135mm. go slow people remember bad photography and business before they remeber good Wedding primarily come from word of mouth…also do bridal trade shows

Constructive criticism….1) based on your spelling, if you handed me a pamphlet or ad, I wouldn’t hire you…ever. 2) seems to me if you are so business minded, you should already have the answers to the specific questions you asked.

Market research to establish the viability of any business is the first step. That you ‘think’ you take ‘good pictures’ and that you used to sell cars..really does not appeal to me as far as taking a chance on your success. These things wouldn’t help convince me to use your services. Wedding photos are ‘priceless’ and with the cost associated, no new bride or groom wants to find out their ‘photographer’ has suddenly gone out of business. Consider a better business plan with much more market viability research (should include average prices etc.) before you take the step.

Ah, to be that young again…. Dude, I have great hopes for you. But those pictures you have on your site, aren’t the quality that people will pay for. (Then again, my early work wasn’t that great and I got paid…) You need to watch your lighting. Too much shadows and not enough light. Learn about ambient light, fill light, short lighting a face, and most definitely how to pose a subject. I am not being critical…..as a matter of fact, I am encouraging you to do the above to make yourself better. I wished my photography professors told me what I just told you…would’ve saved my ALOT of time and money. As far as getting that many weddings a month….Don’t hold your breath. In other words, don’t count on that as your sole support. Do other things as well. Photography is a general animal, and lots of places to find your niche. I don’t know any sole SEASONED PRO photographer who does 5 or more weddings a month. Then again, who knows, you may be the next GARY FONG. Good luck, Josh. And please research what I told you earlier, and try to work under a pro before you make the leap. Trust me. Been there and done it.

Reactions

Post a Comment

0 Comments